BURN THE HORSEUALR Coach Steve Shields doesn't care for excuses. But he's probably got the right to one.
"Seven of the 12 guys here with us, are new guys and this is our fifth game in 10 days. You can't use that as a crutch. We play conference games on Thursdays and Saturdays in the Sun Belt Conference," Shields said. "You have got to be prepared for quick turnarounds and traveling in adverse situations."
But with a young team, practice time is extremely important. And UALR has had very little practice time in the first 10 days of the season. The Trojans have spent their 10 days something like this:
- Friday - Game at Tulsa
- Saturday - Preparation for Northwestern State
- Sunday - Game vs. Northwestern State
- Monday - Preparation for IUPUI
- Tuesday - Game vs. IUPUI
- Wednesday - Practice/Preparation for EMU
- Thursday - Flight to Detroit, bus to Ysplanti, light practice
- Friday - Game vs. EMU
- Saturday - Preparation for Michigan State
- Sunday - Game vs. Michigan State