R.I.P. Brandon Nichols


 His mom posted this today on the Caringbridge site. Please keep the family in your prayers.

I sit here today to say that the battle has been won!!  My Baby is now at peace,no more suffering or pain. 
I thank you all for your support!!!
Please just keep my family in your prayers.
Thanks to Nelson Chenault for letting me use these photos. I remember this play in this game vividly. UALR got off to a bad start against Florida International and didn't score for several minutes to start the game. Actually it was more than nine minutes. With UALR trailing only 7-0 at that point, Brandon took a pass on the left baseline and made this move around Florida International's Facundi Giorgi (photo at right). Nichols went up and delivered an amazing slam dunk (photo below, note J.J.'s reaction, it was that good) to cut the lead to 7-2.
It was one of the best plays Brandon made at UALR and one of the best I've seen by anyone while covering the Trojans.
Brandon was a polite, pleasant kid to cover. He always said hello and smiled when he saw me. I remember having a long conversation with him sitting on the couch in a hotel lobby in Mobile, Ala., while down there to play South Alabama.
It's been hard to read all the updates on he Caringbridge site, especially as his situation seemed to get worse. It gives me happiness to know that he no longer has to suffer.
He was one of my all-time favorite kids to cover.
R.I.P. Brandon.
JS