No real surprises in Saturday's games and that resulted in no table changes for next month's Sun Belt Tournament seeding in Hot Springs.
UALR still has a shot at the West Division championship and No. 2 seed, but the Trojans will need some help. Assuming Arkansas State will beat Troy at home this week, UALR would then have to win its final four games. Arkansas State would also have to lose at North Texas. That would tie the teams at 13-7 in the standings and give UALR a better divisional record. Arkansas State will be the No. 2 seed in almost every other scenario.
Middle Tennessee, South Alabama and Arkansas State have earned first-round byes. UALR isn't quite there yet but is in good shape. UALR is two games ahead of Western Kentucky and controls the tiebreaker vs. the Hilltoppers.
Here's a look at Thursday's games:
- UALR at Florida International: Right now, this looks like a preview of a Sun Belt Tournament quarterfinal game. UALR needs a win to keep its hope alive for the No. 2 seed.
- South Alabama at Middle Tennessee: Middle Tennessee can clinch the No. 1 seed in the Sun Belt Tournament with a victory. South Alabama is in great shape to be the No. 3 seed.
- Florida Atlantic at North Texas: Florida Atlantic has to win out and get help if it hopes for a bye.
- Troy at Louisiana-Lafayette: Another strong possibility for a first-round tournament matchup.
- Louisiana-Monroe at Western Kentucky: WKU isn't eliminated from getting a bye, but a loss in this game would just about finish them off.