BTH Q&A with Will Neighbour

© BURN THE HORSE
PLEASE DO NOT REPRODUCE WITHOUT PERMISSION
Daytona State sophomore Will Neighbour signed with UALR this week. Neighbour, who is from Aldershot, England, and played for Great Britain’s U20 National Team this summer, originally signed with UALR out of Central Park Christian in high school. After the NCAA ruled him ineligible, he attended Daytona State. But he never went back on his commitment to UALR.
Neighbour is a 6-10 forward who played most of his basketball career as a guard. He’s still getting stronger and learning to play the post, but he says his strength is his ability to play both inside and outside the lane.
Neighbour averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds for Daytona State last season and was his conference's runner-up for player of the year. The Sporting News named Neighbour a third team All-American junior college player.
Over the summer, he averaged 15.1 points, 7.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.1 steals and 1.3 blocks for Great Britain. He shot 52 percent from the field, 44 percent from three-point range (8 of 18) and 69 percent at the free throw line. After that tournament, Sports Illustrated ranked him the fourth-best, U.S.-based player at the U20 European Championships (both Divisions A and B). 
Neighbour was not ranked this year by JucoJunction in its top 150 junior college players. But he didn't play in any of the summer junior college showcases (he was in Europe) or the preseason jamborees (due to injury). Most elite players are seen at these type of events.
Neighbour sat down with Burn The Horse for an exclusive interview this week. We want to thank Daytona State Assistant Coach Frank Burnell for helping to make this possible.
 
Q: What was it about UALR and the coaching staff that drew you to them?
A: “(Assistant Coach) Charles Cunningham has been like a dad to me. He’s been through everything with me. When I took my visit up there I met Coach (Steve) Shields and (Assistant) Coach (Joe) Kleine. I can’t wait to work with Coach Kleine. That’s one thing a lot of the big schools don’t even have -- a coach that’s been in The League (NBA) for 15 years with actual experience. I feel that was a great opportunity to get a chance to work with him everyday. They also have a great weight coach as well, John Barron.  It’s a good program.”

Q: Talk about your background, growing up as a guard before a growth spurt at 16-years-old.
A: When I played basketball in England I was smaller. I was probably average height and one of the better players. I just always had the ball in my hands. I was dribbling and playing the point. I was playing with my Solent Kestrels club and I basically grew pretty fast. I was a point, then I slowly went to a shooting guard and then I hit 6-8, 6-9 and then finally 6-10. I had a coach that worked on my post moves, Jimmy Diamond. I became a back to the basket player who could play inside-out. I don’t know how I got so tall so fast. Both my parents aren’t that tall. I guess I was lucky.”

Q: Was it an adjustment to learn to play as a big man?
A: “It was hard. I had such a good coach who taught me all the moves. I worked on it everyday, either by myself or with him. It came pretty fast. When I was able to get a good hook shot it came kind of naturally. There’s still a lot of work that I need to do to become a really good back to the basket player.”

Q: Was a lack of strength an issue early in that transformation?
A: “Definitely. And that’s still an adjustment I need to make. I need to get stronger.”

Q: What is your current injury and your timetable for return?
A: “I tore my labrum. I was practicing and my shoulder came out of place. I had surgery about five weeks ago now. I’m trying to come back. I’m doing all the rehab. My coaches at Daytona want me to try and come back for conference play (in January). But if I’m not strong enough I’m going to take a medical red shirt and I’ll have three years at Little Rock.”

Q: What has it been like playing internationally for Great Britain?
A: “That has been a dream. It was amazing. Playing for my country was always something I wanted to do. When that opportunity came, the dream came true. And being the top scorer on the team for a couple of years was fantastic. The experience of playing against players that are playing professionally in their countries. They take it serious and it’s their jobs. It’s a high level over there. It was fantastic playing for my country.”

Q: How is European basketball different from American basketball?
A: “In America there are a lot of athletes. Europeans play with a lot of pick-and-roll and structured play. I would say it’s probably a little bit slower the way they play over there. They have a few big men that can really go inside-out. Over here, I haven’t seen many big men that can go inside-out. It’s either a big man who is powerful on the block or an athlete on the wing.”

Q: Are you going to play for Great Britain again this summer?
A: “If I hear something I’ll play for them again. I’ll see how it goes. I may just come to Arkansas. I’m not sure what the plan is yet.”
Note: Neighbour will be too old to play for the U20s this year. He could be selected for the U23 team.

Q: Anything else?
A: “I’m just trying to get that championship when I’m at Little Rock.”